✡︎History, Design, and Performance of Israeli Air-to-Air Missiles

DracoMindC

I decided to make a post similar to @Iron_physik's Sidewinder/Sparrow threads.

I intend to cover all Israeli Air-to-Air Missile developments as well as foreign missiles (WIP) used by the Israeli's in service. 

Any corrections or suggestions you feel like should be made, please feel free to let me know!

derby.jpg.f18638b4f12b27433c41eda57dddf4

Rafael Shafrir 1

1124525114_shafrir1color.jpg.3a312914a3f

The first Israeli Air-to-Air Missile development, the Shafrir 1, began development in April, 1959. Development had originally started out rough with a lack of science, technology, and organizational infrastructure necessary to undertake a project that before only the great powers at the time could accomplish. However development started anyways as a means to break the ground in this area of technology and began building up what was previously lacking. Test firings of the missile were conducted in both France and Israel in a series of tests between 1960-1963. These tests concluded the missile was successful at hitting non maneuvering targets. Despite tests not being concluded, serial production and equipping began on December 27th, 1962.

Missile Design included rollerons to help maintain stability, a electro-optical proximity sensor, a caged seeker, and a uncooled PbS detector.

Performance:

• Length: 2.5m
  • Wingspan: 550mm
  • Diameter: 140mm
  • Weight: 65kg
  • Speed: Mach 2
  • Burn time: 5 seconds
  • Propulsion: Low power motor accelerates missile to mach 2
  • Warhead: 11kg blast frag (some reports state 30kg but are unreliable)
  • Guidance Infrared
  • Seeker: 
  • Tracking Rate: N/A
  • Gimbal Limit: 10 degrees
  • Coolant: None
  • Detector: PbS
  • Range: 5km practical range
  • G overloads: 
    • Launch Limit: 2g
    • Target Maneuvering Limit: 1.5g
    • Missile Maneuvering Limit: 6.5g Lateral, ~9g Dual Plane
  • IRCCM: None
  • ECCM: None
  • Aspect: Rear-Aspect (30 degrees off from the tail)
  • Used on: Sambad (Super Mystere B.2), Shahak (Mirage IIICJ), Vautour IIA/N (tested)
  • Service years: 1962-1970

Gallery:

Spoiler

1768966756_shafrir1cutaway.png.a81571690 Cutaway

135262656_unknown(21).png.e2f28f90bd4876 Sambad carrying a Shafrir 1

Rafael Shafrir 2

image_2022-10-03_194118090.png.11c05b26c 

By 1964 the Shafrir 1 was already considered a failure, despite this the missile still ended up being produced with around 200 being manufactured and making their way into service. Rafael quickly went into fixing the missile and its short comings. Their main goals were to improve missile maneuverability and range, both of which were accomplished the latter thanks to a more powerful motor and the former by a redone aerodynamic/pneumatic layout. The missile also used solid state electronics. The missile was still very much a kin to the sidewinder visually, often getting confused with the AIM-9B, however this was proven false after a U.S lawsuit claiming this in the 70s and China Lake getting their hands on a Shafrir 2 to take apart found this was not the case. The missile was extremely successful upon entering service, even out performing the AIM-9D and G sidewinders which were also in service at the time, this was primarily thanks to the missiles superior practical range which was considered 30-35% greater than that of the AIM-9D/G. Interestingly there are 3 reports of Shafrir 2s tracking frontally leading to the downing of 2 MiG-17s and a Sea Harrier being forced to break off its attack.

Performance:

• Length: 2.6m
  • Diameter: 160mm
  • Weight: 93kg
  • Speed: Mach 2.5
  • Propulsion: More powerful motor than Shafrir 1 accelerates missile to mach 2.5
  • Warhead: 11kg blast frag
  • Guidance Infrared
  • Seeker: 
  • Gimbal Limit: X degrees
  • Tracking Rate: 12-18 degrees/second
  • Off Boresight Capability: 10 degrees
  • Range: .5-6.5km practical range
  • G overloads: 
    • Launch Limit: 6g
    • Target Maneuvering Limit: 6g
    • Missile Maneuvering Limit: 18g Lateral, 25.5g Dual Plane
  • Aspect: Rear-Aspect (45 degrees off from the tail)
  • Used on: Nesher, Shahak (Mirage IIICJ), Vautour IIN (tested), A-4 Skyhawk, C-101, Hunter, F-86 Sabre, Sa'ar
  • Service years: 1968-1980 (Israel)

Gallery:

Spoiler

08619-000-23.jpg.a21396ef8b751048e7e1048 Shafrir 2 on a Mirage

890977435_unknown(22).png.5379bb4de99a8d Shafrir 2 on an Argentine Sabre

image_2022-10-03_201142194.png.fcba6e576 Shafrir 2 on a Argentine Dagger

Rafael Python 3

image_2022-10-03_201742077.png.900070fa2

Despite the immediate success of the Shafrir 2, many engineers at Rafael felt they weren't able to include everything they wanted into the Shafrir 2, most notably a cooled homing head with all aspect capability. In the early 70's development began, with tests being conducted in the mid 70s. The Python 3 was a revolutionary missile for the time incorporating high maneuverability, good off boresight performance, and great kinematics. A revolutionary design element of the Python 3 was the use of a boost-sustain motor, the boost motor lasting for a very short period of time and accelerates the missile in ~1 second a speed where it can pull its max G limit, the sustainer/cruise motor then continues to accelerate the missile (albeit much slower than the boost) to allow the missile to also hit far away targets. This gave the missile better maneuverability at close ranges than the AIM-9L while also having superior range and speed. The missile also featured a fantastic all aspect seeker with overall good performance at the time.

Performance:

• Length: 2.95m
  • Wingspan: 860mm
  • Diameter: 160mm
  • Weight: 121kg
  • Speed: Mach 3.5
  • Burn time: N/A boost, N/A sustainer (Specific Impulse is 235 seconds)
  • Propulsion: Boost Sustain accelerates missile up to mach 3 or 3.5 depending on launch speed
  • Guidance Infrared
  • Seeker: 
  • Gimbal Limit: 40 degrees
  • Tracking Rate: 20 degrees/second
  • Off Boresight Capability: 30 degrees
  • Coolant: Nitrogen
  • Detector: InSb
  • Range: .5-15km
  • G overloads: 
    • Launch Limit: N/A
    • Target Maneuvering Limit: 9g
    • Missile Maneuvering Limit: 35-40g* Lateral, 50-56g* Dual Plane, and 17 degrees AoA
  • ECCM: Yes (Laser Proximity Fuse)
  • Aspect: All-Aspect
  • Used on: Kfir, F-16, F-15, Mirage 50, F-4E, J-8, J-11, J-10, J-16, J-15, J-7

*G limit is debated to be 35g or 40g lateral, its very unclear in fact there are even 2 Rafael sources that say contradicting G limits. I have opted to include both for the sake of avoiding confusion.

Gallery:

Spoiler

image_2022-10-04_131239950.png.12d692645 Kfir C.7 with 4 Python 3

image_2022-10-04_131329592.png.a06b0c2a8 Python 3 Cutaway

image_2022-10-04_131538615.png.5c75955eb F-16 with Python 3s

Rafael Python 4

Rafael-Python-4-FA-18A-Fit-Check-1S.jpg.

With the Israelis needing a new missile to counter the impressive performance of the R73 as well as future missile developments like the ASRAAM, Rafael set out to develop a 4th generation IR missile. The missile used a interesting design with 18 aerodynamic surfaces. Of these there are two 45 degree off axis ailerons behind the primary control surfaces to control the roll of the missile, these allow autopilot to control the missiles bank and roll allowing missile to always reach its highest overload possible. The missile did not use thrust vectoring like many other 4th generation IR missiles, yet was still extremely maneuverable showing the ability to turn 180 degrees within 3 seconds of launching. The missile also had a lag pursuit algorithm to hit targets at the end of their turns at a lower energy state. The Python 4 was very successful and showcased impressive performance making it popular for export.

Performance:

• Length: 3 m
  • Wingspan: 640 mm
  • Diameter: 160 mm
  • Weight: 105 kg
  • Speed: Mach 4
  • Burn time: 7-8 second burn time
  • Propulsion: ND-10 Motor 80 kN Boost Sustain motor
  • Guidance : Infrared, INS*
  • Guidance time : 40 seconds
  • Seeker: 
  • Gimbal Limit: ≥ +/- 90 degrees
  • Tracking Rate: N/A degrees/second (said to be faster than human eye)
  • Off Boresight Capability: +/- 90 degrees
  • Range: .4-40 km (15-18 km practical range)
  • G overloads: 
    • Launch Limit: 9g
    • Target Maneuvering Limit: 12g
    • Missile Maneuvering Limit: 70g
  • IRCCM: Yes (Pseudo Imaging, multicolor)
  • ECCM: Yes
  • Used on: Kfir, F-16, F-15, F-18, F-5E, Cheetah

*Rafael claims the Python 5 uses the same INS as the Python 4 while also claiming the Python 5 has new INS the sentence before, this old INS likely refers to gyros used for the missile to understand its bank/roll angle for control of the ailerons, especially if it coexists with the Python 5's new FOG INS. Notable difference between FOG based INS and the older INS would likely be related to the fact the Python 5's can be updated during flight via datalink giving it LOAL capability. Python 4 is only LOBL.

Gallery:

Spoiler

image_2022-10-04_133715840.png.fb8502e73 Python 4 dual rack

image_2022-10-04_133755413.png.2c535c35f Python 4 engagement

Rafael Python 5

image_2022-10-04_134043076.png.88dea3fbf

The 5th generation Python 5 is similar externally to the Python 4, however it has full sphere capability being able to hit targets 360 degrees around the launch aircraft. The Python 5 is also BVR capable having a range over 40km and a controlled time of 80-90 seconds. The missile makes use of a imaging infrared seeker along with Fiber Optic Gyroscope (FOG) based INS and datalink for LOAL launches. The missile maintains the same aerodynamic airframe, motor, INS, warhead, and proximity fuse. All features give the Python 5 impressive performance. A test launch at mach .6 at 7600m hitting a target approaching mach .8 and 3050m 28km away. When performing a LOAL launch the missile uses a loft trajectory to conserve energy better and hit targets further away.

Performance:

• Length: 3.1 m
  • Wingspan: 640 mm
  • Weight: 105 kg
  • Burn time: 7-8 seconds

image_2022-10-04_143048750.png.05c84f0a4 Burn-Thrust Profile

• Propulsion: ND-10 Motor 80 kN Boost Sustain motor
  • Guidance : Infrared, INS, Datalink
  • Guidance time: 80-90 seconds
  • Seeker: 
  • Gimbal Limit: ≥ +/- 100 degrees
  • Tracking Rate: N/A degrees/second (said to be faster than human eye)
  • Off Boresight Capability: +/- 100 degrees
  • Range: .3-40+ km (32km practical range)
  • G overloads: 
    • Missile Maneuvering Limit: 70g
  • IRCCM: Yes (Focal Plane Array; Imaging Infrared)
  • Used On: Kfir, F-15, F-16, F-35, Tejas

Gallery:

Spoiler

image_2022-10-04_143640657.png.b3e53d413 Full sphere launch envelope

image_2022-10-04_143710702.png.0b4a0a53d Promotional Image

image_2022-10-04_143815302.png.f63c8e8bf

Rafael Derby

i-Derby-side.JPG.2dcb3266ad0c5512878b280

In the late 80's plans for a certain Kfir configuration aircraft had requirements for a Active Radar Homing (ARH) missile. Rafael and the subcontracted company, Mbat, set out to develop the new missile. The IDFAF already had no intention of every buying the missile, but did assist in development and required it be adapted to the F-16 as well. Missile was ready for service/sale by 2002 with export sales going to India, Brazil, Columbia, Ecuador, South Africa (their own version of the Derby). Overall the missile is comparable to the MICA missile with both having similar maneuverability and range. The missile is optimized for a large no escape zone (15km vs 5km in the Python 4). The missile follows a high trajectory loft flight to achieve long ranges despite its aerodynamic and motor shortcomings compared to missiles like the AIM-120. According to Rafael at 25,000ft with 2 targets flying head on with each other at mach .9 the missile has a max range of 63km. Maneuverability at close range is described as to being similar to the Python 3. The Derby's seeker when being used in LOBL mode can be slaved to radar or Helmet sight. The Derby uses the same roll fins the Python 4 and 5 use to and as a result also be able to roll into a optimal bank trajectory for the fins.

Performance:

• Length: 3.62 m
  • Wingspan: 860 mm
  • Weight: 118 kg
  • Burn time: 7-8 seconds
  • Propulsion: High impulse motor based off Python 4 motor "little bit more energy", >80kN
  • Guidance : Active Radar Homing, INS, Datalink
  • Seeker: 10-12km active homing range
  • Range: 80km
  • G overloads: 
    • Missile Maneuvering Limit: 50g
  • HOJ: Yes

Derby-ER

Improved Derby with more powerful motor for more range. The missile uses a "second kick" motor which acts independently from the 1st stage motor and can activate at any time in flight. The 2nd kick is said to activate when the missile is close to the target to give it much more energy and greatly expand the no escape zone. Rafael also claims the missile has 80% of the Meteors performance for only 1/3 of the cost.

Performance:

• Length: 3.62 m
  • Wingspan: 860 mm
  • Weight: 118 kg
  • Speed: >Mach 4
  • Burn time: >10 seconds
  • Propulsion: Improved motor which extended range by over 35%
  • Guidance : Active Radar Homing, INS, Datalink
  • Seeker: >12km active homing range
  • Range: >100km
  • G overloads: 
    • Missile Maneuvering Limit: 50g
  • HOJ: Yes

Gallery:

Spoiler

image_2022-10-04_194413912.png.092520889 Derby next to Python

image_2022-10-04_194456786.png.e940393e7 Brazilian Derby on an F-5EM

image_2022-10-04_194536363.png.8922b2b1b Kfir C.10 with 4 Derby missiles

Sources:

Edited by DracoMindC
Python 4 and 5 entry overhaul, alternative G loads for Python 3, Derby motor clarification, Derby LOBL characteristics.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 9
medal medal

very nice and interesting post, the python 4 and 5 are so good looking! i have been curious about these missiles. is it correct though that the python 4 has 80 second sustainer? sounds very long, i was just wondering because the python 5 had a much shorter one.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, zzoega said:

very nice and interesting post, the python 4 and 5 are so good looking! i have been curious about these missiles. is it correct though that the python 4 has 80 second sustainer? sounds very long, i was just wondering because the python 5 had a much shorter one.

Its a interesting thing the 80 second sustainer may seem like a lot but keep in mind its only 700 N which is only enough to make the missile glide further rather than keep a cruising speed like a lot of sustainers. As for why the Python 5 is less, it uses a different motor design with a sustainer burn that gains thrust over time so overall impulse is actually much better and towards the end of the sustainer its producing 75% of the booster's thrust which is a lot.

• Thanks 1
medal medal

the python 5 motor burn sounds very interesting! this reminds me, i remember i saw a dcs mod with this missile and they had modeled it in such a way that it were turning into position and when it had an easy oppertunity hit it accelerated and hit really fast. so it wasnt bound to burntime but to in which oppertunity it had to hit. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Nice work.

Both the Python-5 and Derby-ER are also used by the SPYDER air-defence system...Both missiles also have smokeless rocket motors...

Spoiler

singapore-airshow-2018_rsaf52_0179.jpg.7

Python-5%2Bmissiles%2Bon%2Ba%2BRafael%2B

There are also photos somewhere of the Python-4 mounted on Mirage F.1s, and the Python-3 (and 4?) mounted on Super Tucano turbo-prop aircraft.

Edited by Cairn_67
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Oh man I was working on a post just like for a while now and you beat me to it :lol2:

The list of platforms that can use each missile starting from the Shafrir 2 in reality is much larger due to export, I'm currently on vacation and when I get back I'll try to fill in some of the blanks.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, yoyolast said:

Oh man I was working on a post just like for a while now and you beat me to it :lol2:

The list of platforms that can use each missile starting from the Shafrir 2 in reality is much larger due to export, I'm currently on vacation and when I get back I'll try to fill in some of the blanks.

I did the shafrir 2 entry in the middle of the night so trying to remember all the platforms off the top of my head just wasnt gonna cover all of them:burned:

I do remember Chile put them on their hunters now though, and I forgot to list the Sabre, I just added those 2 but if you know anymore do tell me!

image_2022-10-05_203107634.png

• Upvote 1
medal medal

On 05/10/2022 at 03:54, DracoMindC said:

Interestingly there are 3 reports of Shafrir 2s tracking frontally leading to the downing of 2 MiG-17s and a Sea Harrier being forced to break off its attack.

I actually had this happen to me last week while flying the 3CJ!

Very nice work compiling this data.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator
On 06/10/2022 at 04:32, DracoMindC said:

I did the shafrir 2 entry in the middle of the night so trying to remember all the platforms off the top of my head just wasnt gonna cover all of them:burned:

I do remember Chile put them on their hunters now though, and I forgot to list the Sabre, I just added those 2 but if you know anymore do tell me!

image_2022-10-05_203107634.png

Yep, these are FGA.71s to be specific. They were also used on Argentine Skyhawks of the A-4C variant and not just the Israeli Skyhawk variants.

Edited by yoyolast

11 hours ago, Cairn_67 said:

Nice work.

Both the Python-5 and Derby-ER are also used by the SPYDER air-defence system...Both missiles also have smokeless rocket motors...

Hide contents

There are also photos somewhere of the Python-4 mounted on Mirage F.1s, and the Python-3 (and 4?) mounted on Super Tucano turbo-prop aircraft.

Not exactly...

Yes, the SPYDER uses the Python 5 and Derby, but it uses extended range versions of both of those:

spyder-image03.jpg.1d000492ab63b038642fb

m02012061300071.jpg.2cc6426ee703f27441c9

(both pictures are from a Rafael exhibit at the 2011 Paris Air Show)

The SPYDER uses special versions of the Python 5 and Derby dubbed "Python 5 MR" and "Derby MR" respectively. The only difference is the big rocket booster giving them a lot more range.

Edited by ofekk213
  • Thanks 2
medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, ofekk213 said:

Not exactly...

Yes, the SPYDER uses the Python 5 and Derby, but it uses extended range versions of both of those:

spyder-image03.jpg.1d000492ab63b038642fb

m02012061300071.jpg.2cc6426ee703f27441c9

(both pictures are from a Rafael exhibit at the 2011 Paris Air Show)

The SPYDER uses special versions of the Python 5 and Derby dubbed "Python 5 MR" and "Derby MR" respectively. The only difference is the big rocket booster giving them a lot more range.

Theres also the I-Derby ER, which is an improved version of the Derby, announced at 2015. In 2018, India selected the I-Derby ER for use on their HAL Tejas.

SpyDer has 4 different range categories:

SR, ER, MR, LR. 

Yes, it's stupid ER is not after LR as per the industry convention. 

The Spyder SR and ER use the Python-5 and Derby/I-Derby missiles.

The Spyder MR and LR use the Python-MR and Derby-MR missiles.

What sets the SR and MR apart from the ER and LR respectively, is the sensor suit which allows the customer to either choose a cheaper, shorter range sensor, or a more expensive longer range one that will allow to better utilize the missiles' kinetic envelope. 

That is, the SR and MR lose a bit of range because the sensors do not give them an early enough warning.

So when speaking broadly about the Spyder, the regular Python 5 and Derby, without boosters, are definitely used.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

8 minutes ago, Zucc_Boi said:

SpyDer has 4 different range categories:

SR, ER, MR, LR. 

Yes, it's stupid ER is not after LR as per the industry convention. 

The Spyder SR and ER use the Python-5 and Derby/I-Derby missiles.

The Spyder MR and LR use the Python-MR and Derby-MR missiles.

What sets the SR and MR apart from the ER and LR respectively, is the sensor suit which allows the customer to either choose a cheaper, shorter range sensor, or a more expensive longer range one that will allow to better utilize the missiles' kinetic envelope. 

That is, the SR and MR lose a bit of range because the sensors do not give them an early enough warning.

So when speaking broadly about the Spyder, the regular Python 5 and Derby, without boosters, are definitely used.

thanks for clerification

medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator
7 hours ago, ComodoroRinke said:

and were also used in the Argentine Mirage III and Dagger

Well yeah but they were Mirage IIICJs and Neshers and are already broadly mentioned.

I don't remember reading about a max speed of 2.5M for the Shafrir 2 but if you can prove it, then you should file a bug report as it currently reaches only 2.1M
Ingame card:
image.png.d9f6c8a009f1f11ef259bc26392dba
I think these entries are in regards of the statcard therefore I can't find a way to prove what max speed is hard coded.
image.png.1195e894aca205d0332a187801009f
Source:

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, spacesoldier117 said:

I don't remember reading about a max speed of 2.5M for the Shafrir 2 but if you can prove it, then you should file a bug report as it currently reaches only 2.1M
Ingame card:
image.png.d9f6c8a009f1f11ef259bc26392dba
I think these entries are in regards of the statcard therefore I can't find a way to prove what max speed is hard coded.
image.png.1195e894aca205d0332a187801009f
Source:

well stat cards in game doesnt affect the missile performance it can be 0 and watch it go to mach 4 

On 05/10/2022 at 01:54, DracoMindC said:

Rafael Shafrir 1

Performance:

• Length: 2.5m
  • Diameter: 140mm
  • Weight: 65kg
  • Speed: Mach 2
  • Propulsion: Low power motor accelerates missile to mach 2
  • Warhead: 11kg blast frag (some reports state 30kg but are unreliable)
  • Guidance Infrared
  • Seeker: 
  • Tracking Rate: N/A
  • Gimbal Limit: 10 degrees
  • Range: 5km practical range
  • G overloads: 
    • Launch Limit: 2g
    • Target Maneuvering Limit: 1.5g
    • Missile Maneuvering Limit: 6.5g
  • Aspect: Rear-Aspect (30 degrees off from the tail)
  • Used on: Sambad (Super Mystere B.2), Shahak (Mirage IIICJ), Vautour IIA/N (tested)
  • Service years: 1962-1970

Those Shafrir 1 stats, in particular gimbal limit and max overload, seem almost unbelievably bad (I know it was a terrible missile, but I didn't expect that much of a downgrade from the AIM-9B).

Edited by Flame2512
medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Flame2512 said:

Those Shafrir 1 stats, in particular gimbal limit and max overload, seem almost unbelievably bad (I know it was a terrible missile, but I didn't expect that much of a downgrade from the AIM-9B).

The missile was famous for passing under targets losing track and all sources I have state 6g or 7g, in its entire service (1962-1970) it only scored 3 kills out of many attempted launches

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was considered the worst IR guided Air to Air missile ever.

For some reference when the IDFAF captured a few dozen R-3S (AA-2s) and some launchers it was considered about equal to the AIM-9B and completely superior to the Shafrir 1 in testing.

medal medal

14 hours ago, TimeFaker said:

well stat cards in game doesnt affect the missile performance it can be 0 and watch it go to mach 4 

That's why I pointed out that it might not be reaching if the correct speed.
Unfortunately I can't tell where they store speed data of the missiles opposed to a normal aircraft.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal