New logo for Firefox

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
Caveria

New logo for Firefox

Post by Caveria »

Hello! Since 70th release of Firefox will receive a new logo! Take a look! Now it will be a rebranded logo not now like in 57-69!
This Mozilla Firefox 70 Candidate 2. Download here: download-origin.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/candidates/70.0-candidates/build2/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 70.0.exe
The full version will release on October 22, 2019.

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

Re: New logo for Firefox

Post by haroldas.velioniskis »

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

with the market share on the decline and currently being under 10%, I can't imagine firefox being around past 2030.

EDIT: I meant 10%
Last edited by MrFreeman on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

MrFreeman wrote:with the market share on the decline and currently being under 1%, I can't imagine firefox being around past 2030.
According to Starcounter, Firefox has a desktop market share of 9.52%, and 4.44% overall. That makes it the second most popular desktop browser, and the third most popular browser overall.
In addition to their significant market share, their work forms the basis of many other projects and applications, and they heavily advocate for and contribute to the free and open internet.
Their presence also serves as pressure for giant tech companies to keep their browsers open, compliant with standards, and powerful. Before Firefox, most websites were only designed to work with Internet Explorer. Microsoft intentionally made Internet Explorer incompatible with standards as part of their "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" campaign to lock out competing browsers and platforms, and monopolize the software and internet industries. Firefox was one of the first successful browsers to weaken that monopoly, and make the internet as we know it today possible.
Their work is extremely important and will continue to be relevant for the foreseeable feature.
If you have time, I'd recommend checking Firefox out! In my experience, it performs a bit better than Chrome, and doesn't have as many privacy concerns as Chrome does.
Also, of the reason Chrome and Safari are so popular overall is their inclusion with Android and IOS, and their app distribution platforms requiring that all third party browsers use Blink or Webkit respectively. But that doesn't make Firefox any less relevant today.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

I do not appreciate the return to 4 bit icons & logos.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

yourepicfailure wrote:I do not appreciate the return to 4 bit icons & logos.
100% agree. This bandwagon for "ultra modern minimalist" aesthetic is not only less visually appealing, but it also functionally worse. Reducing contrast and font size, hiding visual cues, and putting functionality behind cryptic hieroglyphics and sub menus really hurts overall usability. Little things, like changing the icon for the settings menu from a wrench, to a column of three lines, to a column of three dots just for the cool factor. By making everything the same color and size, it's hard to tell the difference between a button, slider, menu, or body of text. In fact, flat design's tenancy to eliminate crucial visual cues was even found to increase the time it took for users to find ui triggers by 22% on average:
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/flat-u ... certainty/

I especially miss Apple's skeuomorphic design, which used to clearly communicate the application's functionality. Today, ios' layouts are horribly inconsistent - sometimes a pen and paper creates a new message, sometimes a plus icon, sometimes a pen. Sometimes the button is in the top left corner, other times the top right, others the bottom left. Sometimes pages are along the top, sometimes at the bottom.

Interestingly, while most user interfaces have been annoyingly flat and low contrast, many logos like Firefox's use extensive gradients and shadows. Designers really should do the same with the rest of the ui and apply some more color, contrast, and highlights. It would keep the aesthetic but improve usability.

Exemptus

Post by Exemptus »

What I don't appreciate is Google's continued efforts to enforce bypass of adblocking when it suits them and the deliberate lack of privacy options their application stack offers. I switched to Firefox + NoScript and have never looked back since.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

At least it's not a simple geometric shape without any gradients that you could pretty much draw in Paint, e.g. Windows or old Office logos.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

MrBurgerKing wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:with the market share on the decline and currently being under 1%, I can't imagine firefox being around past 2030.
According to Starcounter, Firefox has a desktop market share of 9.52%, and 4.44% overall. That makes it the second most popular desktop browser, and the third most popular browser overall.

I meant 10%
MrBurgerKing wrote:In addition to their significant market share, their work forms the basis of many other projects and applications, and they heavily advocate for and contribute to the free and open internet.
They pretend to support a free and open internet, but yet they partner with companies who have been known to go against such ideas.

MrBurgerKing wrote:Their presence also serves as pressure for giant tech companies to keep their browsers open, compliant with standards, and powerful. Before Firefox, most websites were only designed to work with Internet Explorer.
Websites are already being made that only work on Chromium/Chrome and browsers based on it.
MrBurgerKing wrote:Microsoft intentionally made Internet Explorer incompatible with standards as part of their "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" campaign to lock out competing browsers and platforms, and monopolize the software and internet industries. Firefox was one of the first successful browsers to weaken that monopoly, and make the internet as we know it today possible.
Their work is extremely important and will continue to be relevant for the foreseeable feature.
I can't imagine them being relevant if they keep [censored] their users off. It's part of why the market share is declining because of all the terrible decisions they make that nobody likes.
MrBurgerKing wrote:If you have time, I'd recommend checking Firefox out! In my experience, it performs a bit better than Chrome, and doesn't have as many privacy concerns as Chrome does.
I've been a long time Firefox user and I can just say that I've been taking an interest at alternatives such as Brave.
MrBurgerKing wrote:Also, of the reason Chrome and Safari are so popular overall is their inclusion with Android and IOS, and their app distribution platforms requiring that all third party browsers use Blink or Webkit respectively. But that doesn't make Firefox any less relevant today.
Firefox yes is still relevant but since Mozilla just can't learn their lesson and continues to [censored] off us Firefox users, I just don't see it being around for more than another decade.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

MrFreeman wrote:with the market share on the decline and currently being under 10%, I can't imagine firefox being around past 2030.
I personally doubt that. Firefox still has a bunch of positive praise from many of its users. I do like Firefox, even though I don't use it that much, because I'm more of a Chrome user.

Other than that, that does look like a neat new logo for Firefox! It seems quite modern.

Winins

Post by Winins »

I actually like flat icons and disagree this statement, however if icons get way to simplistic then there is a problem.
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

thermalx

Post by thermalx »

apparently firefox is the browser of russians

Lars R. Johansson

Post by Lars R. Johansson »

Hmm.

I have to admit, I'm not quite feeling this logo - yes, it's clean and modern, and hence fits in with the current graphical style of modern OS's, but it's lost something - the personality and warmth of the first Firefox logo's. It's just not quite the same.

Serhatisb

Post by Serhatisb »

The old logo with the orange and blue matched together way better instead of orange and purple.

leppy232

Post by leppy232 »

That's great, have they fixed the memory consumption issues? I don't even like Chrome but I'm more or less forced to use Vivaldi instead.

mrfunnylaughs

Post by mrfunnylaughs »

I mean, the new logo does look decent, but honestly I preferred the old logos.

GayCoonie

Post by GayCoonie »

I also dislike going towards flat and boeing design like multiple people have expressed here, though it seems like Firefox is almost going in the opposite direction back to more interesting looks, though I still prefer the "original" logo.My favorite firefox logo of all time though is a fan-made one I can't post yet because I don't have three approved posts. I will defintily add it here when I d.

Edit: Here it is Image From an icon pack I use

Tester

Post by Tester »

I like details on GayCoonie's firefox icon :)

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

This is going towards a opinion poll.