AKG K702 Ultimate Mod
Jan 31, 2019 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FrankFHuang

100+ Head-Fier
Here is my K702 (made in Austria). It sounds really cold and bland when I first got it. But after modding it myself for several time, it has reached a new level of sound quality.
IMG_0755.jpg

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 12
The first step was change the connector on the headphone from a 3 pin mini XLR to a 4 pin mini XLR which allows balanced connection.
IMG_0757.jpg

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 12
While replacing the socket, I found that the interconnect AKG used is just the cheapest, most ordinary cable. That's not Hi-Fi enough! Therefore, I replaced all the crappy cables with silver plated OFC.
IMG_0763.jpg

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 12
But the problem still exist since the connectors used to transfer signals from left driver to right driver are still a crappy steel bar which also work as the headband. Why not go all the way? I replaced the connectors again with the same SPOFC cable and it ended up looking very weird but sounds great.
IMG_0761.jpg

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 12
But something is still missing, the AKG signiture vocal is still absent. I tried many different amps and dacs but it is just not there yet. Finally, I found the problem while comparing a K7XX and the K702 side by side. The AKG K702 is missing the black damping foams on the back of the driver. Once I swap those on 7XX to 702, the sound became warmer and more natural.

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 12
That's it, my way to the ultimate AKG K702. Here is a picture for before after comparison.
Before:
IMG_0040.JPG

After:
IMG_0755.jpg

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 12
I still have spare material for another mod. So if anyone wants to transfer his or her AKG K7 headphone into a higher being, PM me.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 12
Wouldn't it be easier to just mount another shallow 3-pin XLR socket on the right cup than run those cables around the headband? Sure it won't look symmetrical but then maybe a spare right cup can be ordered from AKG and then drill that, then mount a shallow (or partially outward extending) XLR or TRS socket on that side in such a way that it would be symmetrical. Anything to not have that cable snaking around the headband.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 12
Wouldn't it be easier to just mount another shallow 3-pin XLR socket on the right cup than run those cables around the headband? Sure it won't look symmetrical but then maybe a spare right cup can be ordered from AKG and then drill that, then mount a shallow (or partially outward extending) XLR or TRS socket on that side in such a way that it would be symmetrical. Anything to not have that cable snaking around the headband.
Sure. I’ve also thought about the possibility to replace the right cup housing with a left cup housing that comes with a opening. But I didn’t find any spare parts for sale.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 12
Sure. I’ve also thought about the possibility to replace the right cup housing with a left cup housing that comes with a opening. But I didn’t find any spare parts for sale.

No not spare parts, much less used. Contact AKG by email. Tell them you cracked one earcup and you're out of warranty. The only difference from Sennheiser is that Sennheiser has a more direct link to spare parts where you can choose the exact part, but with AKG you need to send them an email explaining what part you need. Sennheiser used to be even more direct until somebody got wind of one guy here who ordered HE60 parts and now there are around ten HE60s without serial numbers floating around.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 12
I’m sorry to hear that. It sucks when that happens. Sorry I cannot really help you because I got mine from a cable maker friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back